Friday, December 22, 2006

A Homeless Merry Christmas

I had my meeting with Andy and all went well, in fact I now have a new bible with a leather cover and zipper that I can carry in a pack without tearing it apart. Andy also gave me a new book to read, "Wild At Heart" by John Eldredge. It was great just to be able to talk with Andy truthfully about my life and where I'm at. He'll be praying during the coming week on who will be the best fit to disciple me in the Lord's ways.

During my days of working at a mall I've witnessed many who I do not believe know what the true meaning of Christmas is. Most people I see running around and trying to find the right gift, the most expensive gift, the biggest gift, the best gift. I see people with short tempers, unhappy, and feeling totally pressured by their idea what Christmas is about. Well I feel they are missing out on the understanding and purpose of Christmas.

Would it really hurt just to slow down a little bit and actually remember what Christmas is about?

For me Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ, the one who done as his Father ask. The one who sacrificed his life for us all and its through Christ's blood that those of us who believe will have eternal life. It's about peace and joy, fellowship and purpose, and of course the biggest, love, trust and faith for someone who gave his all for you and I. It is a day to thank Jesus for all He has done for me and others around me.

Sometimes I would just love to stop everyone and ask what they feel the true meaning of Christmas is. Of course many wouldn't stop because they feel they have no time. I do pray that those who do not understand Christmas' purpose, become acquainted with the person who's birth we are celebrating.

If you are thinking of donating items for those who are homeless I have a few suggestions:

Socks: Everyone of us enjoys being able to put on new socks
Knit Hats: Nothing like being able to keep the old noggin warm
Warm Gloves: Many of us tend to loose or misplace gloves during are shuttles throughout the day
Razors: Here in Salt Lake they can become a highly sought commodity for us
P38: For those of you that don't know, it's a army can opener you can carry in your pocket
Underarm deodorant: the stick kind preferably
Thermals: A must and great for the cold weather states

If you want to give something special, throw in some instant coffee bags or a couple of candy bars. Whatever you do give, you can be assured that all of us who are homeless are grateful for you help.

I most likely will be unable to post anymore until after Christmas, so I would like to wish each and everyone of you a very Merry Christmas and I thank you for your prayers, trust, and faith in me. This may be another homeless Christmas for me, but it also is a special one, because I know in my heart what Christmas truly is all about.

No comments: