Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Taking It To The Streets

It has been tough trying to log in to my blogger account for the last 2 days. I finally was able to get on by posting a comment to the blog. Go figure.

The last 2 weeks I've been noticing a real move towards compassionate projects for the homeless within K2 The Church. Not that they were already working on bringing the work of God to them before, but just a more visable effort going on. On Sunday the message was "Taking It To The Streets" and was set up like a David Letterman show, where compassionate project participents were interviewed and they discussed their missions.

K2 has been working in Russia with orphans, the Honduras' on housing, New Orleans rebuilding, with the "Dream Center" a very diversified mission to the refugees here in Salt Lake City from many countries, and of course with the homeless and needy locally. The new term for this is thinking and working "Glocally".

I'll be working of course here on the streets trying to make more people aware of homelessness and how to approach them and work with them. An important part of this will be making members aware of the homeless resources available and where they can help out at and take the work of Jesus.

Tonight there is a meeting at K2 concerning on going projects such as working with the local Rescue Mission, the Sunday meals at the park, and other vital missions and projects that we would like to develop. I'll be presenting an opportunity for members to tour the facilities and resources available to the homeless. Most of these resources are within a 4 block area of the main shelter "The Road Home", and I pray that we can all work together to develop a tour of these facilities all on one Saturday.

I really noticed a need for this during the Superbowl meal we served at the park. Many of the volunteers didn't have much knowledge of where to send people or where they went after the meal. A couple even had real crash courses about homeless people while trying to help out. There are just so many areas in which individuals can volunteer while bringing the work of Jesus to the homeless.

Yea, it's just like the old Doobie Brothers tune "Taking It To The Street", and that is exactly what we plan on doing. This is the start of an opportunity to share my recent love of Jesus and how He has changed my life. The fruit that I bear may be still somewhat green but I do feel that it can be nourishing to those who are still wandering around without purpose.

Sunday night was to be the night to change the subtitle to this blog, but not able to log in, it has remained the same until this morning. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and hope you all like the one that was chosen.

Yep, it's time for music once again and today's is kinda special, due to the fact this video contains members of K2 and many who have been instrumental in my new life with purpose. I found it, of course where else, on YouTube.com and was impressed with their work. The song "You are My Joy" is from David Crowder. The video was shot near the Great Salt Lake and many of those appearing play at K2 on Sundays.

1 comment:

Scott said...

apparently this thing called google it blocking me out or I just haven't figured it out. still can't login until I do a comment.

It's another day of nothing but LOVE.